catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Best Sunday of Your Life (1-17-03)

kirstin
Jan 17 2003
02:33 am

Read this issue’s Bible study verses: ../issues/backIssue.cfm?issueid=10#study

Contrary to what advertisers would have us believe, life will inevitably involve suffering. Why is suffering necessary and what does right suffering look like?

Norbert
Jan 17 2003
03:08 am

The point of suffering is for us to actively recognize where our help comes from. Each of the verses, and others as well point to people who suffer and call out on the name of God. When Jesus was tempted in the desert he too called out and was comforted. The correct response to suffering follows suit.
My aunt Carolyn has been dying of cancer for the last 12 years. Twice the doctor’s told her that she had months to live. I just got word yesterday that despite massive amounts of chemo and drugs, they found several large tumors in new parts of her body. Her response to the first finding of cancer was to become a Christian, the second, to strengthen the faith of her family, and this last one, she has resolved herself to God’s will. She called out to him and he gave her the time she needed to do what he wanted her to do. That’s Christ-like. That’s suffering, but it’s also growing and sustaining and giving.
Please pray for my aunt Carolyn. Not that she doesn’t suffer, but that she can handle her suffering and that she will continue to approach it faithfully, growing, sustaining and giving until her God calls her home.
Thanks

JasonBuursma
Jan 23 2003
01:16 pm

Norbert,

Thanks for sharing about Carolyn. God bless her as she runs the race. Her reward will be hundredfold!

There’s a lot of confusion in the christian community on the issue of suffering. Some people when evangelizing or teaching at church paint a picture that Christians will never suffer. ( I confess I don’t talk very much about suffering with my sunday school kids- which I will remedy because of the mid-typing conviction I just experienced)
Many people also say if you’re suffering as a Christian, it’s because you did something wrong. Still others say that you MUST suffer to grow closer to God and do things like get the stigmata or whatever.

Many times if I’ve been neglecting my quiet times and feel beaten down spiritually, I’ll tell others about how hard a week I’ve had to get sympathy. But often it’s my own disobedience that’s caused the suffering. That would not be a “right suffering”, Kirstin.

Many times in my life God has put me through short term suffering (ie. girlfriend breakup, Ranger School failure, etc.) to prevent future suffering. At the time of the suffering, you rarely can see God’s plan, but trusting in him like Norbert said will allow you to walk the Calvary Road instead of taking the long road of selfishness and bitterness.

Judges 3:1-5 talks about how God didn’t deliver all of Canaan to Joshua’s generation, but left tribes “…only to teach warfare to the descendants of the Israelites who had not had previous battle experience… to see whether they would obey the Lord’s commands…”

Clearly God values our dependence and obedience. God also calls us to spiritual battles and suffering. So we don’t have to seek out a profound suffering experience in hopes of spiritual insight (one of my past girlfriends once told me she didn’t think we were growing enough because we hadn’t had enough conflict in our relationship :), God already predestined suffering (and glory) for us to carry out his purposes. Thank the Lord he is victorious over the Enemy and gracious to his children!