catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

The role of women

Norbert
Feb 07 2008
10:30 pm

The primary problem here is that the powers that be, for the most part mind you, believe that a strict adherence to 1 Timothy: 11-15 (A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.) trumps the spirit of Galatians 3:28 (There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus). They do good lip service in to women being equal to men, but should/must have different roles or different authority. This seems to smack of the separate but equal crap that dominated the first part of the 20th century.
The crazy thing is that we have some women who have quite a bit of authority in the church. Half of our ministry leadership team is comprised of women (the worship and care committee coordinators). We have plenty of female Sunday School teachers. Our current Adult Sunday School teacher is a woman. We have female leadership in the church, but not in an [i:5a78b03c74]official[/i:5a78b03c74] capacity.