catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

religion and freedom of speech

Heidi_N_Seek
Feb 14 2006
02:19 pm

I do see your point. I believe that Islam is do for a change and that it will attain one. Just like Christians needed one so long ago. Think the Crusades. Muslim countries have forever been stuck in ancient times but will eventually join the rest of the world. Americans who practice Islam have already begun it. And eventually the rest of the world will follow. I still think it is a difference between religion and fundamentalism though. I just think in Islam there are more funadamentalists where in Christianity there aren’t. There is also a difference between free speech and hate speech. If a speech or words are meant to gather people up to do harm to others then it is no longer covered under freedom of speech. And there are a few more intricicies to go along with it. I had to take an entire class about the first amendment. (talk about a headache lol). Pretty much it depends on how something is worded or intended on whether it falls under free speech or under harrassment or disorderly conduct. It can be a real pain figuring it out though. At any rate I do think tolerance is very important. Without it, hate spreads, and there’s more violence. And I think we have plenty already.

~Heidi C. Saunders