catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

religion and freedom of speech

Heidi_N_Seek
Feb 13 2006
04:49 pm

I couldn’t help but notice this discussion and add my own 2 cents concerning it. I think the large difference here is the difference between religion and fundamentalism. The same difference between the person who believes in pro-life and the person who goes and blows up an abortion clinic and everyone inside. The same difference between a pastor and a cult leader. The same difference between teaching and brainwashing. There is nothing wrong with tolerance and acceptance of other religions. It’s when those religions are taken to the extremes that problems exist. I know many Muslims who are completely and utterly appalled by those who would harm others to get a distorted point across. Distortion and brainwashing are the keys to fundamentalism not the keys to faith and belief. I am a nondenominational Christian, I believe that there is One God, and that Jesus died to save us from our sins. However, I do not condemn others for their beliefs. Whether they be Muslim, Wiccans, Hindus, or any other relgious belief. The difference being that fundamentalists distort those religions into what they choose to make them. And that is what causes suicide bombers, and ambushes, and death. It is not because a person chooses Islam, it is if they choose the way of distorted belief in Islam. A fine line, maybe, but a line none the less. The same can be said for Christians. If someone chooses the way of Christian life and if they choose the way of say the Christian life as stated by the KKK it is two completely seperate beliefs. I can never and will never condone what the KKK is and does, however they are white christians as I am. It is the equivelent of a cult as is the fundamentalists of islam who blow people up and shoot at them on a daily basis. When I hear of a Muslim man beaten bloody simply because he is Muslim and the other is Christian I believe that God cringes. When a brainwashed Muslim blows up an American embassy in the name of God, I believe that God cringes. 200 years ago when a person who believed in the power of nature was hung from a tree, I believe that God cringed. So I don’t believe the discussion here should even be about religion. But about crimes committed in the name of God in cults that God , whatever religion you happen to be, would never condone. I know that I’ve possibly taken the discussion in a bit of a different direction but I believe it needed to be said.

Thanks,
Heidi C. Saunders