catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Prayer

RagamuffinA
Nov 19 2002
05:45 pm

I was also going to bring up that Anne Lamott quote. Isn’t it powerful?

I think what I meant by saying that there is no right or wrong way to pray is that there is no prayer that cannot be or isn’t heard by God. There is no right or wrong way, in that we do not have to come to the Throne with this elaborate speech we have prepared and worked at and slaved over, just to find perfect words, as if that is the only way we may talk to our Creator. We may come as we are.
So many times I will admit to being intimidated by those “good pray-ERs” around me. I think that I have nothing worthwhile to say, or perhaps I do have something to say, but do not have a good way to put it, and therefore the prayer gets scraped altogether because I don’t think it’s ‘good enough.’

Well, the truth is that I am not good enough. And try as I might to be the perfect person we all sometimes strive to be, I am never going to somehow “deserve” grace or deserve to be heard. I screw everything up too many times and so often.

But I am told that God wants us to come talk to Him anyway -with that faith that of a child, a prayer that of a child. That’s when, not just the “best”, but yes, BBC, the most honest prayers come forth like,
“dear god, hi. i am crazy. send help soon.
ps: thanks.”