catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Obama's pastor

anton
Mar 27 2008
04:25 pm

The gospel is good news for people from all nations and tribes and people groups. Anytime we make the gospel good news for a particular people group we are rebuilding the dividing wall of hostility Jesus torn down and contradicting the gospel. The Lord is on the side of his people, but his people are those who fear him and put their hope in his unfailing love, regardless of race or nation or people group.

Paul confronted Peter for not having table fellowship with other believers. Rightly so, because Peter was relying not on Christ but on belonging to this particular group of people. He was saying, "I am saved because I am a circumcised Jew," not because I trust in the name of Jesus.

Doesn’t liberation theology contradict the gospel when it pits one group of people against another and says God saves me because I belong to my group and not theirs? This particularizing nature of liberation theology goes against unity and union with Christ. I think Obama was right to call these particular teachings of his former pastor wrong, not as a presidential candidate but also as a Christian.