catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Obama's pastor

anton
Apr 25 2008
04:44 pm

Now I’ve been doing a little thinking of my own. The things you’ve mentioned have been helpful and challenging to me. I did not mean to suggest that we give up "race talk" or ignore history. Present social evils should be exposed.

I don’t think we have to choose between particulars (race, personal history) and commonalities (human, American, Christian). But I do think there is great danger is emphasizing the particulars over the commonalities. When we emphasize what makes us distinct (our particular "identifying characteristics"), there is no basis or hope for meaningful unity.

MLK, Jr did not ignore or devalue the particular circumstances of his time or people, but he chose to emphasize commonalities ("all God’s children"). His dream stressed what unites rather than what divides. Wright, it seems to me, is emphasizing particulars in an unhelpful way. To join his church, a credible profession of faith is not enough: you also have to commit to Africa and black values. That is contrary to the unifying, redeeming work of Christ. This is why Obama was right to disagree with him.