catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Earning vs Consuming

enok
Jan 29 2004
05:22 pm

i’m thinking about wal-mart. i don’t like to go to wal-mart because of their business practices and what they do to a community and they way that they treat a community. so, i like to go to smaller ma and pa stores or little chain stores. for example i’ll travel to ben franklin to buy yarn instead of wal-mart, even if it is 15 minutes away. or i’ll try to find a place online to buy hemp things even though wal-mart sells it for less.

my question/dilema is by doing these things i am spending more. i make an effort to support other businesses, and in that effort they realize that they get less business, so they have to charge more for some things. in light of this if i was able to avoid wal-mart at all costs i will/would spend more money than i could have if i shopped there. so i may spend more than i “should” but i am avoiding what i consider to be a bad place to shop.

can this generalize into other things? should people who have more money work a little hard to find the people that need to have products purchased from them? even if it is more expensive? on the flip side, if i was extremely hard on cash and needed somethings, should i still avoid a place like wal-mart because of it’s practices or go there knowing that i have to use my money as economically as possible?

is there a time when not being thrifty is being more responsible?