catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Deception and Leadership

JasonBuursma
Jul 06 2003
09:58 pm

Sarah, I’ll try to address some of your issues

1) The main reason (or root cause) people disagree on things is because of sin. Satan brings confusion into the world. He tried to make Eve confused about what God really told them and has been doing the same thing ever since.
One maddening thing to humans is that God is not a God of mindless repetition. In the Old Testament, he would tell Joshua to attack from the left, the next time he told Joshua to attack from the right, the next time he told him to lay an ambush. God always desires to keep us from getting trapped in “forms of godliness”.
So we have Satan bringing confusion into the world and we also have our own sinful nature. Our pride and selfishness get in the way of submitting to God’s truth. Our sin is an open door for Satan to bring confusion.
But, like Grant said, we have the Word of God, which is truth. God also gives us discernment, or “distinguishing between spirits” (I Cor 12) as some translations call it.
Although I am neither a political expert or an expert on declaring God’s Will, I do know that we can’t figure things out without God. Why would we want to? If we already knew the answers to everything, we wouldn’t need God, we would be God.
I will never have all the answers, but that’s ok. God gives us what we need to know.
And if disagreement or confusion forces us to press into God more, great. That’s what’s life is about anyway.
The second issue connects with it.