catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Christian Ed. and the 21st Century Church

Lo G
Aug 20 2004
02:36 pm

I think it is important to evaluate the Christian School being considered. I grew up in a Christian school where the teachers worked to give us a Biblical perspective on everything from science, to history to art and music.

We send our children to school to learn and grow. Teachers, and their beliefs, have a profound influence on young minds who know they are to trust these adults. Every teacher has a worldview and a faith system. I feel I would have a very hard time sending my child to be with someone for more hours of a day than they spend with me, and have about the worldview from which they are presenting all their material.

Does this mean that in a Christian school I can safely trust that my child is being taught with Biblical perspective? No, I still need to do my work researching curriculum, asking questions about the hiring process, and getting involved by forming a relationship with my child’s teacher. But I am saying that a Christian school is more likely to have educational objectives that line up with mine. I believe that parent who sends their children to school where these things are not being taught, needs to make a HUGE commitment to spending many hours outside of the classroom discussing with and training in their child biblical perspective. But remember, teachers usually spend a larger percentage of time with a child than the parents. I want to be wise about the mentors I place in my child’s life.

As far as Evangelism… a child can be salt and light to other children just as well in a private school as a public. But I believe that gradeschool, at least, is a time when a child should be able to learn without having to battle with their teachers over truth.