catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Christian Ed. and the 21st Century Church

cvk
Aug 26 2004
08:49 pm

I wonder how this idea came into being that Christian education and making disciples of all nations are in tension with each other. We are given the power to share the good news and lead others into descipleship because Christ died for our sins, was raised from the dead AND ascended into heaven. It is this Lordship, this redeeming of all things, that give us the reason and the authority to go out into the world. It is not right for us to think that is we support Christian education we do not support reaching out to unbelievers. The opposite is not true either. Those who are concern with reaching out to their neighbors may be just as sure that their children need to be taught from a chrisitan perspecitve.

The Chrisitan Reformed Denomination may not seem to be great at gaining new souls but somehow I feel uncomfortable with numbers thrown around. It is not in our power to change hearts but we have to provide the witness or the catalyst. But when I look at the number of excellent institutions of learning supported by our small demonination (Hundred of day schools, high schools, Calvin, Dordt, Trinity, Kings Redeemer and the Institute) and the blessings they have been to many learners from other demoninations and the leadership we show in this area, God has blest our efforts. Some of the other denominations who have greater increases in their church rolls do not have the wisdom in the educational field. I do not think it should be one OR the other but we need to learn to share our faith more easily and continue to lead in serving the Lord in all of our endeavors like education or justice.

I am a product of Christian education, all my children have graduated from Christian schools, I teach in a Christian school in Canada. Interestingly, our student body is only about 35=40% Reformed. The influx of other denominations has only made those of us involved in Christian Education for a long time appreciate this heritage even more. ANd often the ones who are most excited about coming to our school are new converts. Their enthusiasm for the faith is shown by sending their children to a Christian School.