catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Calvin College and George W. Bush

davez
May 20 2005
02:04 pm

I’ve been fascinated with how this is all playing out in the local media. When it was first announced, Will Katerberg was interviewed by one of the local news outlets and started the alternative voice. Now there are advertisements signed by faculty. Randall Jelks and another professor were on Hannity and Colmes on Fox News. Hannity comes off as a jerk in the transcript.

I am just wondering what all this looks like to an outsider. The letter that is published by the 1/3 of the faculty has many excellent points and I understand what is behind the letter. However, how would a non-Christian view this, as just another reason not to be a Christian because even Christians cannot agree? Even to other evangelicals, I wonder if Calvin just looks “liberal”. I am not sure that taking the disagreements public in such a simplistic form as a letter in a newspaper is the best route to spark debate. I understand where the alternative voices are coming from and why they are doing what they are doing but it just strikes me as a bit out of place. While I disagree with Bush on many issues, I do commend him as a Christian who takes his faith seriously, even if it leads to radically different views on issues I just wish Christians would be more careful with how their disagreements are being heard on the outside.

It reminds me of a billboard at our local Christian high school which is very near an entrance to the local university. It says “Advancing God’s Kingdom.” While I know what the intent is, I think about all my non-Christian acquaintances and wonder what they read when they see it.

I think some more serious thought should go into how “insiders” shape their message for “outsiders.” I think the Calvin example is just another of how we can be right (in purpose and in trying to be faithful to scripture) but get the message so wrong.