catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

A liberal opinion on the war in Iraq

Adam
Jan 31 2004
09:43 am

So let me get this straight:
We’re making excuses for the most sophisticated intelligence agency in the world, which has a file on you if you’ve ever bounced a check or watched Wile E. Coyote try to blow up the roadrunner on cartoon central? If you’re going to justify the kind of killing that’s gone on, you’d damned well better be right about the reason you’re going in. How many wars are we going to fight on a hunch? Even if it was a “truly weird development,” I don’t care! There’s no margin for error here! And there have just been too many little details like this—which people like Ms. Charen seem to want to sweep under the rug—for me to believe the war was legitimate.

To me the real issue is still the fact that the U.S. superseded the will of the U.N. and now that it turns out the U.N. was closer to the truth, the doubts of the naysayers have been substantiated. There’s room for any number of theories on why the U.S. was so eager to get in there. Even if oil was only one of many reasons for the invasion (which I believe to be true), the administration has to be held accountable for the needless deaths.