catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Would YOU want to be starved? Terri starves now

Matt
Mar 24 2005
11:23 am

Would YOU want to be starved?

A very good question! Yet I can?t help but to wonder if our President and members of Congress have been asking this same question of themselves, as they continue to cut funding for programs that feed and house thousands of individuals across this country. Is it morally just, for us as a nation, to slowly starve the poorest of our own citizens (who are mostly children) for the sake of receiving a tax cut?

It is tragic that Terri Schiavo?s family (parents, siblings and husband) must grapple with these personal issues of life and death. I have sat and prayed with many families who have had to make similar hard decisions about a loved one. None of these families, however, have made the national news. And yet this same scenario is played out hundreds of times each day, without governmental intrusion.

vanlee, I think that you are very wise to inform your husband of your feelings regarding this issue. I would also encourage you to make out a living will. Give a copy of it to your doctor, hospital and clergy. But I would also encourage you to let your senators and state representatives know that this decision of life is a private and personal one, meant to be left up to the individual, their family and God. They have no business being there.