catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

living in chicago?

kristinmarie
Feb 12 2005
02:01 pm

…although it depends where you are on the north side—it’s certainly not unreasonable. I live in Ravenswood, which is at around Lawrence and Damen, and I love it. It’s a bit more relaxed than the just-out-of-college neighborhoods (where we lived for four years, and can also recommend if that’s more your cup of tea) and right on the brown line AND the metra, which is only a 15 minute commute downtown. Parking is not as bad as in some places, and there are other cool neighborhoods within 5 minutes—Lincoln Square for the German lover in you, and Andersonville when you’re craving a little piece of Sweden or the best beer bar in Chicago.

But there are a TON of other good places to live—it really depends what type of neighborhood you want, how you plan to get to work (eg which el line you want to be closest to), how much you want to pay, etc. I’ll check and see if I know anyone who’s looking for a roommate…

As for churches…we had a hard time finding a church. We go to the Pullman Christian Reformed Church, WAAAAY on the south side of Chicago. It’s not your average CRC…mostly African-American, great music and some of the best preaching I’ve ever heard (even having gone to Dordt :) ). Feel free to email me if you want to discuss this without the whole world seeing…

Kristin Elgersma — grant_kristin@hotmail.com