catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

living communally without the commune

Norm
Jul 02 2002
04:04 am

That is a good thought.

In the South and in Europe it seems like everybody is much more open and friendly, much more hospitable. Even the poorest people living in the slums of New Orleans will offer you whatever they can share, treat you with respect, and though you may not know them, they will converse with you for hours.

Europeans are so friendly and so easy-going, guys can hug and kiss each other just because they’re saying hi, and not even be slightly suspected of homosexuality. They definetly take life easy there, as well; here in America we have no trouble finding something open for 24 hours, seven days a week. In European countries, the shops open at ten, close at five, and are closed for an hour and a half for lunch and tea.

Admittedly, some European countries are among the poorest in the world, but does our American rush rush work work go go go society eliminate and destroy community?

Let me rephrase that.

It does.

If we want to truly live communally, we need to slow down and think more about others and less about ourselves. Even our architecture reflects how we live. New homes being built now (and the past 3-4 years) have little or no front porch, as opposed to older homes where the porch would often stretch across and often around the entire home. We used to sit and talk on our porch with our neighbors. Now we can’t get them off our front step fast enough (hasty generalization, I know, but even Jesus used hyperbole to make his point).

To give an example of what I mean, Steve’s CD idea is wonderful. But the only reason Steve had that great idea is because he thought about someone other than himself. Our culture today screams “I want all the CDs for myself” — Steve though of something what would benefit everybody, demonstrate good stewardship, and be fun.

Way to go, Steve. Have a big porch.