catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

I like U2 about as much

lopez
Apr 27 2005
09:35 pm

alright grant, here’s the deal.

a band is a band. that means two or more musicians that get together for the sake of creating music. one of them might really like girls, one of them might really like boys. maybe one of them is into politics. sometimes a couple of them might really like to drink alcohol and smoke hash. this varies from person to person, band to band. however, the one universal thing that ties all of these different groups together, the one common element by which we can judge and compare one to another is the music. not what they say or why they say it, but HOW they say it. they say it with instruments. they say it with noise produced with any and all kinds of instruments. guitars, drums, midi’s, and vocals…whatever, it’s all just sound.

it just makes sense to me that one of these groups of musicians that is emotional, but not as technically skilled (U2) should not be held in the same regard as a group that is both emotional and highly skilled at their craft (zeppelin). the main reason people find it hard to agree with this stance is because we are dealing with art here and it’s hard to seperate our personal preferences from what is universally good.

zeppelin plays blues based rock’n’roll and that’s what personally enjoy listening to, but this is not why i prize them as a band over U2. i have simply taken the known qualities that make art good and applied them to U2 and they have come out lacking.