catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Heaven on Earth?

anton
Oct 01 2007
08:02 pm

Taylor, great discussion. I’d point you in two directions.

The first is John’s vision of a "new heavens and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away" (Rev 21). This way of describing heaven certainly implies there will be something "new" about creation. It won’t be the same old, same old. Jesus says, "Behold, I am making all things new." For my part I don’t non-believers will be shown the exit and we’ll simply continue on. God has something of cosmic hugeness in mind. There is a sense in which heaven is certainly not on earth yet.

The second is what Paul says in Romans 8:18-25. Paul says creation currently groans under bondage to decay. God has cursed creation (the "common curse", Gen 3) and it won’t be straightened by human endeavor. But God will straighten it (!!), meaning he will set it free from its bondage to decay. The harvester will overtake the planter, creation will be so fruitful! Interestingly, Paul says creation also will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God, when we too are fully set free from sin and decay at Christ’s second coming. God does care for his creation; he will set it free. Finally, Paul says that hope that is seen is not hope… In other words, again, heaven is not on earth; it is still to be hoped for. Life is good, but the best is yet to come.