catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Hard Questions of the Faith

anton
Nov 29 2007
12:36 pm

I don’t know if its possible or wise to interject a little humor into a discussion about hell, but here goes nothing… There’s a story told about Calvin. Someone told him he would become a Christian, but he was curious: What was God doing before he created the world? He had to have an answer before he would believe. Calvin replied, "He was creating hell for the curious." I’m not sure the story’s true (probably not), but it’s a funny reply and makes a great point about the dangers of curiosity in the sense of refusing to be satisfied with what God has said.

Anyway, I misspoke when I said he created hell. I don’t think the Bible ever says God created it. However, the Bible does say it is a reality, and if it exists, it would be hard to avoid the conclusion that God created it. Who else would have created it?

What is problematic, saying God created hell, or saying God creating hell prior to "creation" (the earth and universe)? I’m not following you there. By the way, are you enjoying Inferno? I’ve thought about reading it…