catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Culture 'n' me. (The title of my new book)

C Sue
Dec 10 2002
11:05 am

Here is a different perspective on the issue of culture. I am a younger college student, and I feel that it is very difficult to be cultured when I am not surrounded by influences that will allow me to become more knowledgeable. I agree that it is very intimidating to listen to and read the perspectives of many people on this website. It’s scary! I even went so far as to make sure that my real name wasn’t evident in my user name because I don’t want anyone to recognize me. I just know that the time will come when I respond with a message that is completely idiotic and off the wall and will leave me feeling utterly humiliated. I feel that it is hard to be cultured because of my younger age and because I don’t have influences here to challenge myself. How do I become cultured when I don’t have times to read the books and I can’t be around people like Grant (since yes, we have been idolizing him this entire topic) and others like him. I am surrounded by people who consider comparing calories in a beer can to be careful analyzation. Although you may think that’s an overstatement, the sad fact is that it contains partial truth. I feel like anytime I try to put in my semi-cultured view I get blank looks and tilted heads. I just do not have confidence in my opinions and I feel like I really don’t have anything to back up what I am saying. Also, once I gain more of a cultured knowledge, how do I influence those around me? How do I allow people to understand where I am coming from and to respect the opinions that I state? Since I assume that many of you have experienced college, I thought that perhaps someone could help me out.