catapult magazine

discussion

The spirit in rock music

geoff3
Mar 16 2007
12:52 pm

Hi Grant,

Yeah, out side of U2, I’d have to say:

Part [/b:a0cb17c6ce]- Summa. Heard during a late-night driving trip from Plymouth to Bristol. Had to contact the radio station to see what I’d heard, it had such an amazing effect on me. Still does. Heads [/b:a0cb17c6ce]- Stop Making Sense – I think the film was/is fantastic and the beginning with Psycho Killer and the ghetto blaster, has to be one of the all time great starts to a concert. Groves [/b:a0cb17c6ce]- an english musician who you’ve probably never heard of. I don’t generally listen to Christian music, it seems so twee and angst-free, but I heard a track from Charlie’s new album ‘Searchlight’ called ‘Wounded Healer’ and there was a part in it where he rolls an A Major 7th chord on his piano at the start of an instrumental bit. For whatever reason that chord just resonated with me and I couldn’t stop playing the song. I had to email Charlie and ask what was happening, what was that chord! I thought I’d found my ‘soul chord’ if there is such a thing!

] – another UK band, whose album ‘Something to Die For’ got the creative juices flowing (for writing purposes) and tracks like ‘Soil’ and ‘To Die For’ and a few others, just have that edgy feeling that I like. Sums up life in little ’ol England!

] – There is a track of theirs, ‘Stupid Girl’ that I liked. The lyrics seemed too clever for the UK charts at the time and that one stuck out for me. Don’t think they’ve hit the mark since though, which is a shame. Wasn’t Butch Vig in the band?

] – Claire de Lune. This became my Dad’s favourite piece of ‘classical’ music. After WWII, he was posted in Vienna and given responsibility for guarding the Opera House, or what was left of it! It became a focal point in Vienna for musicians gathering in the city after the war. In one grand performance, someone started playing this piece. After everything he’d seen in the war, I think it was just such a contrast and it moved my Dad so much, that it kind of became ‘his’! For me, it is a beautiful composition and he wanted it played at his funeral. Always a special piece.

Peace,