catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Sex and spirit

DvdSchp
Jul 12 2007
02:15 pm

Sexuality as a sacred practice is about trusting, receiving and penetrating each other completely. It is about the circulation of energy and divine light from your body into your partners. It is, in the words of David Deida, “the ongoing communion of consciousness and light.”
In that union with each other and with the divine, we create and emit energy that has holy power. Sacred sex is a portal through which we experience divine love and then offer that love back so that it infuses all of our relationships and sanctifies the world.

Really?

Perhaps we would be better served to stop fetishizing sex. I think Barbara Zielinski’s error lies in making sex some sort of transcendental portal to God or whatever she’s talking about. Of course she has to OK sex outside of marriage—she’s dangling some divine key to existence in front of all of us who aren’t married. Maybe we should admit that sex is silly and ridiculous instead of a path to God.

Let’s not get caught up in the cult of personal fulfillment here. This concern that everybody inside or outside of marriage deserves to be sexually fulfilled is the same concern that everyone should have all the material goods he or she wants.

And in that belief, I directly challenge both the wisdom and the constraint of our culture’s current marriage ethic. Basically it says that if you are married, sex is acceptable and if you are not married, sex is bad. Such an ethic has nothing to say to teenagers, gays and lesbians, the elderly, the single—nothing to say to anyone who isn’t…well, married.

Why is this such a hard pill to swallow? If you’re unmarried, you don’t get to have sex, now buck up. And I’m saying this as a single person. You want to help the unmarried, stop acting like sex is so wonderful.