catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Public sin

eprentiss
Jul 02 2003
05:50 pm

pacey,

it seems that you and the author actually agree. he admits the difference between voluntary exposure to harm and involuntary. the burden of the end of the article is that as creatures in a fallen world, no matter what we do, we will, ultimately, be exposed to pollution. thus, the differences between something “voluntary” and something not- is only a “matter of degree,” as he puts it. thus, in the end, none of the pollution that we run into is ultimately voluntary. and, thus, who is to draw the line between these degrees concerning which is sin and which isn’t? thus, it’s a matter of discernment rather than rules, as much of christian living is. nowhere does the author, to my knowledge, propose that the bible is a handbook or rulebook; in fact, he seems to press pretty hard against such a misconception.

respectfully,
eprentiss

. . . and, giving you the benefit of the doubt, i’ll take your cab driver comment as tongue-and-cheek. it’s true, biblically, i think, that we will never be in a position where we have to decide between two sinful options (thus, we always have a choice); otherwise, christ couldn’t be a faithful high priest, could he, experiencing all the temptations as we, since he was never in a position where he had to choose between two sins. something to think about?