catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Public or parochial, home or ?un-?

bridget
Jun 04 2004
06:27 pm

I think I agree with many principles of un-schooling, but I also see how it could fail many kids. It presupposes that a child is an environment that is conducive to learning, and that parents are supportive, and have a lot of time to spend with their children. That is ideal, but unfortunately not feasible for a lot of families. It seems that without a supportive environment, un-schooling becomes non-schooling very quickly.

I agree with Norbert about good teachers being excellent observers. I’m still a novice teacher, but I think one of the most important things teachers do is observe in order to truly know their students.

I also wonder about the community aspect of un-schooling. There are definitely huge problems in public education in our country, and problems with private schools as well, but participating in school systems does encourage us to take care of each other. I teach ESL, and I know that many of my students would not have access to a lot of educational (and un-schooling) opportunities without a school system. In some ways, un-schooling seems very selfish to me. I understand it is the parents’ responsibility to educate their children, but I wonder if that responsibility isn’t better shared with more people.