catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

I can't go on

JasonBuursma
Jun 24 2003
09:07 pm

great discussion. great stories. It’s clear that God works in many ways.
I hope I didn’t give the impression that my friends’ victory over depression (and more) was the result of one night of fist pumping and foot stomping. Rather it took close to a year and the Lord is still refining him and healing him from old wounds (as he continually does with all of us).

Sarah, I think you misunderstood my point. My point was not that we can’t do anything, but that we can’t do anything apart from the power, love and truth of Christ. Through Christ all things are possible.

The desire that God has burned in my heart is that the church ministers as Jesus (and the apostles) ministered. I don’t want to convert someone to Christianity so he can stop smoking and go to church on Sundays and Wednesdays. I want the hurting and broken people in the world to be healed physically, emotionally, spiritually, relationally— to be restored, not just converted.
I want God to have a healthy, restored, passionate bride (the church).
The world needs organizations to minister to the needs of physical health, political help, food, finances, emotions, etc., but only the church can minister to someone spiritually. That’s what makes us special. That’s what makes us different from the United Way.
In other words, I don’t just want to be a really nice guy, I want to point people to Jesus. I don’t want people to say, “wow, Jason’s a really nice guy, maybe I should go to his church and smoke less.” I want people to say “I had no idea God loves me and died for my sins. I had no idea Jesus cares about my problems and that he wants to help me have a new life of victory.”