catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Christian grade school---white to black or to ???

Norbert
Nov 02 2004
02:00 pm

I see two problems. #1, Christian schools are typically run by and for the religious “right”. The religious right has an unhealthy love affair with the status quo. The status quo will kill community as you allude to vanlee. This, admittedly, as a gross overgeneralization, but one that has at least some foundation in truth.
Schools do need, as you suggest, to target other demographics in addition to the suburban WASP population, but that is not an easy thing to do for a number of reasons.
#2, frequently, though not always, racial and cultural lines are consistent with class lines. Dropping $5K a year per student for 1st grade through high school is a very difficult step for many families. And, again just a guess, I think that the white population is more capable of making that step in many communities.
Now, I don’t think that is right. I don’t think that is just. I do agree with you vanlee that we need to actively work to save our Christian schools because I think many of them are in trouble. Some of them are in trouble the way you suggest and some of the problems are caused by what I say above, but not all.
I think this is just the tip of the iceberg when talking about problems in today’s k-12 Christian education (speaking as somebody with a heart for Christian education and has taught in both public and private schools).