catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Camping anyone? Who's interested?

EricVW
Mar 11 2003
10:32 pm

Hello everybody, this is my first post, quite the zygote I am. Last spring a bunch of friends and I visited the Smokies and it is stunning; in a rich, subtle way. We stayed at the Smokemont campground, which is on the main drag through the park, it was perfect in the Spring; hardly anyone there. In the summer the main campgrounds might be busier, they also have RV spots, yikes. It seems that the smaller campgrounds on the northern or southern end of the park would be less crowded and be more tent-oriented, specifically Abrams Creek, Cataloochee or Cosby Creek. Cosby Creek is right next to the Appalachian Trail and is surrounded by streams. All of the campgrounds have no showers, just bathrooms- there is always a dip in the streams. In the middle of the park there is a sweet hike up Mt. le Conte, you can even camp at the top, so if people are adventurous, it is’t too hard of a hike. Also, if this is chosen as the site, for the love of all that is good and decent in God’s creation, Do not drive through Pigeon Forge/Gatlingburg. It is a gross mishap of tourist crap. Times that would work for me would be early june, or mid july (either east or west). Catskills would be cool as well. There is my not so small two cents on the issue.