catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

TOP FIVE JIVE

joynips
Mar 05 2003
09:23 am

well, well, well. when i was told to check out this site i had no idea i would be checking out alt.drinks.kool-aid. i guess when life gives you lemons, you pick out the top five, maybe a couple of honorable mentions, and mix up some lemonade.

my original plan was to throw out 5 horrible albums and wait for the flames, but i’ve decided i might like to stick around a bit longer, so i won’t pick kind of blue just because everyone else does, and i won’t throw out mr. big’s classic “lean into it”

here goes.

miles davis “kind of blue”

there’s a reason many people put it in with the best of all time, and it’s because it’s that great. i first heard “blue in green” on an npr special about three years ago and bought the album that day. best improv album of all time

stevie wonder “songs in the key of live vol 1&2”

“sir duke” and “i wish” are two of my alltime fav songs. get me moving everytime. my wife and i put together cds to be played at our wedding reception, and we had to include “joy inside my tears” and “knocks me off my feet.” needless to say, those are sentimental favorites.

led zeppelin (first album)

if i get out of my car and my hands are bleeding, it’s because “dazed and confused” was on the radio. my dashboard hates that song. bonzo rules.

pink floyd “meddle”

norb and lopez threw out WYWH (my second pick) and DSOTM (third) so i’ll pick “meddle.” “echoes” is my personal fav floyd (shine on close second). fearless is great too. love the lyrics.

phish “junta”

if you know me i guess it was assumed that i would have phish somewhere, right? i don’t dissappoint. “YEM,”“david bowie,” and “divided sky” are almost as good in the studio as they are live.

here’s the fun part. honorable mentions.

galactic “crazyhorse mongoose” -thanks lopez. i owe you a few
neil young “after the goldrush”
moe. “no doy”
beatles “abbey road” and “white album”
grateful dead “workingman’s dead” and “american beauty”

okay, now my beef with lopez. general top fives are too tough to nail down, and you end up with 18 honorable mentions. how bout top five road trip albums, or top five albums that you can’t help the huge smile that spreads across you face evertime you pop it in. i’ll start.

top five before snowboarding (or whatever it is that YOU do that you need to be woken up and psyched up for)

parliament – “mothership connection”
- make MY funk the p-funk
galactic – “crazyhorse mongoose”
- turn bass knob quarter turn to right
moe. – “no doy”
beastie boys – “check your head”
-“hello nasty” and “ill communication” work too.
leftover salmon – “euphoria”

go well.
nips