catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

The Secretary

Adam
Feb 25 2003
11:00 pm

Anybody seen this? (with James Spader, it’s a Sundance award winner) I just saw it tonight, and it left me with a lot to think about. As a movie, it’s very good—not at all conventional in its subject matter, but treating on postmodern ideas.

WARNING: IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT BUT DO WANT TO SEE IT, STOP READING SO I DON’T BIAS YOU.

I thought it was a great movie, but it left me at the doorstep of an issue that has given me much trouble lately: what God thinks about sexuality that differs from the norm. In this case, it’s Submissive-Dominant and Sado-masochism. Many Christians that I know believe that, as long as you’re in a committed relationship (ie Marriage), homosexual practicing is not forbidden by God (with the explanation behind the passages where it is explicitly forbidden being that it was a cultural norm). This movie essentially says something close to the same thing about sub-dom, and perhaps S & M. Or maybe my interpretation is off.

. . . Aaand, I just realized someone posted something about this a long time ago, so I’m a moron. They show everything at different dates in Vancouver. You either see it before anyone else or you see it after everyone’s already seen it, talked about it, bought the book. Hey Dan, you still up for talking about it?