catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

punch-drunk love

CaptainBako
Oct 30 2002
09:51 am

I saw it. I loved it. Adam Sandler’s performance amazed me—a statement I thought I’d never hear myself saying in my lifetime.

It took me a while to get into his character, but I started to understand him and feel what he was feeling. Seeing his character, this believable, beautiful, odd man move through stressful, overbearing circumstances and a dreamlike romance was definately worth seeing. Like you, kristinmarie, I can’t really explain why. The ending left me feeling sort of happy, but it could understandibly leave others feeling differently.

I think director P.T. Anderson sees hope blossoming from within and throughout messy, difficult circumstances. At least, that’s where he leads me; he never actually spells out any such conclusion.

Guilt, anxiety, love, empowerment and unwanted, blazing inner frustration; P.T. Anderson tapped into my wells of such feelings, and I shared it all with a character Adam Sandler brings to life. Amazing. There’s one particular scene that struck me, where Sandler gazes at someone affectionately but at the same time looks nearly braindead, and I gazed back utterly spellbound. It’s a lot to say for the guy who had until then most enchanted me by tucking a newspapaer into his collar at the Weekend Update desk, flailing his arms and saying “I’m a crazy newspaper-face man! Isn’t that craaaaaaaaaaazay?”

Also of note was the movie’s use of sound. I’ve never before noticed and appreciated the value of subtle, well-done sound design and the gravity it can bring to a film.

I don’t know if I really said anything at all that I intended to convey about the movie. It’s hard to explain; it’s an odd one. Odd, but worthwhile.