catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Dreams

JoyBirdV
Dec 10 2002
12:58 pm

Greetings.

Wanted to bring up the subject of dreams. I have often wondered why God designed our human bodies to require 8 or so hours of sleep a night (which, frankly, has seemed like a waste of time to me a lot of the time) unless there was some deeper purpose to them.

Dreams, then? Seems like through the Bible, God used dreams to communicate many times to many people. Does He still do that today? Do dreams have some deeper meaning, outside of the conventional ?subconscious mind talking? theory? What ARE dreams, anyway? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with God communicating through their dreams? Thoughts? Intuitions?

Norbert
Dec 11 2002
01:25 pm

Well, um…I was just joking. You were too, right? Dan?

mrsanniep
Dec 11 2002
01:50 pm

Okay, here’s my take on your dream:

It’s an inner struggle between your adult and child self. You come out of a meeting, a very adult thing, and turn on your Palm Pilot to enter some information, a very adult and responsible thing to do. Next thing you know, you’re playing a video game – a very childish thing counteracting how adult you were just being. Then you ARE in the video game, which is exactly how caught up kids get when they play. Star Trek Nemesis – obviously, you want to see the movie and we all know where you’ll be Thursday night. “Jesus Loves the Little Children” – you’re justifying Jesus’ love for both sides of yourself, particularly the “fun” side, which has basically usurped the adult side in this particular dream.

As for the destroying a planet of believers, you must be an undercover Communist.

Okay, bucko. That’s $450. Cough it up.

dan
Dec 11 2002
03:29 pm

Nice try mrsanniep:) No I’m only partly joking. The imagery does seem to lead in this direction. Where to go with it I don’t know. I think I’d have to know a little more about jabirdv and have a bit more psychoanalytic training to go any further. Though mrsanniep’s analysis does add the interesting child vs. adult bit. Perhaps jabirdv has a bit of a childhood psychosis like me!

JabirdV
Dec 12 2002
01:53 am

An interesting take on the child vs adult issue. I hadn’t entertained that…I was too busy worrying about how I had destroyed all the believing aliens. (I have already seen Star Trek Nemesis 3 times…I WON’T be there Thursday)

Hmmm. A Communist. Very interesting (tapping fingers tips together.

Check is in the mail.

Dan, I am not sure I follow your sexual psychoanalysis. There was nothing fallic or sexual about the dream. I’ll keep that on the backburner, however.

Anyone else?

Any other dreamers out there? How about recurring dreams?

Sheri
Dec 12 2002
04:09 am

Okay, I’ve finally got enough time to sit around and post, and this topic piqued my interest.

A few years ago, I had recurring nightmares about my dad dying—two dreams of his death, and one sequel of his funeral. I was really disturbed about those for a long time.

I think I’d agree with the analysis (at least in part) that our dreams consist of things we’ve heard throughout the day… That seems to explain many of my dreams, but I don’t think that the whole of them is recycled material. Do you guys think that deja vu experiences are a result of the fact that we dream parts of our life before we live them? I’ve heard that hypothesis before, and I’m not sure what I think, though it does adequately explain the whole deja vu deal.

mrsanniep
Dec 12 2002
04:39 am

Someone asked about recurring dreams – I have one: losing my teeth.

However, I think we should all turn our armchairs to DAN and discuss his childhood violence/degradation dreams about women.

Here’s another interesting dream story – my mom, her sister and I were together over the holidays and were shopping in an antique store. My mom saw an old cart of some sort and told me my aunt had one similar to it. I walked away and my mom said something to my aunt about it. My aunt looked at her and said, “I JUST got one like that. I didn’t tell you about it. There’s no way you could know I had it.” My mom then realized she’d dreamed that my aunt had a cart like that one and even correctly dreamed where it was in my aunt’s home. Now that, my friends, is weird.

triciadk
Dec 12 2002
05:31 am

yippee. dreams are fun.
just last week i dreamed i was in a small truck driving to a public restroom with my younger brother and someone i didn’t recognize, where some strange men tried to sell me a fake bamboo plant for 25 cents. thinking “don’t they realize i’m not that stupid?”, i refused to buy it, so they shot my younger brother in the head and i watched his face while he died. ouch. that dream hurt for a few days. the following evening i dreamed i was hacking a blond woman’s head off with a very dull knife while on a rocky beach. apparently i have a subconsious thing against blond females. sorry. oh, and my first comment about how dreams are fun? i lied.

for the record, i’m a generally non-violent person who hates action movies and lots of gore. i have inklings of an analysis of my first dream, but that violent crap was disturbing.

apparently my subconsious violent tendencies have chosen to come to fruition in adulthood, versus dan’s strange childhood violence issues…at least you could claim ignorance in childhood. i should really know better than to hack blond female’s heads off on the beach.

mrsanniep
Dec 12 2002
06:01 am

Don’t worry about the blonde thing. I had a dream where I was kicking the crap out of a blonde coworker of my husband’s who is a phoney baloney. She’s had a liver transplant (or kidney transplant, I forget) and in my dream I kept thinking I was beating up on a transplant patient. I felt a twinge of guilt, but my complete annoyance (what an understatement) with her prevailed. I didn’t kill her. I mean, I woke up before I could assess the damage. For the record, an analysis of this dream should not include jealousy. My true feelings about this woman revolve around the fact she told my husband it was great that I stay at home with our son, but then followed that up with “me, I just feel I need to contribute to society.” Kapowwweeeeeee! Did that hurt? Oh. Sorry. WHACK!

Wow. What a dangerous bunch of mofos we all would be if we met in our dreams! HiiiiiiiiiiiiYA!

Jasonvb
Dec 12 2002
07:10 am

This is awesome.

Good to know that so many others work out violence issues in their dreams. I’m often shooting guns at things. Aliens mostly. Not Christian ones though. Bad ones, like in Aliens and Signs. And Close Encounters.

Recurring dream: On stage. Huge audience. NO IDEA what my lines are or even what play we’re doing. Pretty common one from what I understand. I’ve also heard about the teeth dreams. Do yours fall out individually or shatter into shards and powder? (Bleah.)

mrsanniep
Dec 12 2002
07:25 am

They fall out individually. My cousin’s shatter into powder.

I have another recurring dream about being in college during finals and discovering I never attended a class for which I was registered and not knowing what I’m going to do about the final. There’s panic and then I wake up, completely relieved to be a college graduate.