catapult magazine

discussion

The spirit in rock music

geoff3
Mar 12 2007
03:45 pm

Read the [i:dc81b1d33a]catapult[/i:dc81b1d33a] article

Hi Grant,
I believe, help thou my unbelief! Such a great article Grant and loved the conversation between Phillips and Lewis! Kind of galvinises you to think more deeply about that much maligned immoral thing called rock music. I hadn’t realised the ‘gospel’ roots in Phillips’ heart and mind.

Interesting how you perceived/felt Achtung Baby as a bad album that kinda grew on you. When I first heard it I loved that kind of ‘spiritual/otherness’ feel I got from it. There was only one song I hated, as I admit to hating Bono prattle on about losing his faith (again), or losing what he had when U2 first started out. That would be my only criticism of the album. A real epiphany for me was when With or Without You came out in the UK, at a time when Bono was talking about the charts being filled with wallpaper music. To hear the Edge’s guitar rattle away was an amazing experience. I’d stopped playing the radio because there was just the puss of self-indulgent wounds all over the airwaves, and then WoWY hit the playlists. Nothing in music has surpassed that moment yet. I know, I lead a sad typically English reserved life ,Grant!! Probably one of those moments that you just had to be there. What would it be for you?

Peace,

grant
Jun 27 2007
12:28 pm

wow, that’s so right. Joel and I were just saying the same thing, especially with his recent stuff. All that talk about things blowing in the wind and the wind pushing him where to go. He’s not talking about convectionary currents in the earth’s unstable atmosphere.