catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

X Men 2

JabirdV
Apr 22 2003
09:58 am

Any X-Men fans out there? Love to chat about this one once it comes out. Anybody anxiously awaiting…?

Jasonvb
Apr 22 2003
10:58 am

I’m not what you would call an “X-Men fan”. I mean, I can name a few X-Men (Storm, Nightcrawler, Rogue, etc.) but can’t give you their histories. I did really like the first movie, however. And while viewing the trailer for the sequel, my eyes got wide and my neck went funny. So yeah, I’m looking forward to it. When is it out, again? This weekend?

JabirdV
Apr 22 2003
12:14 pm

May 2
Nightcrawler is introduced….and I think he is going to steal the show!

Xyrak
Apr 22 2003
02:29 pm

X2. Yeah can’t wait.
I hope they reveal some of Wolverine’s history, seeing as he heads out to Alberta in the end of the first movie.

I actually know someone who worked as an extra on the set of X2. He’s one of those faceless guys that dies in every action movie.

I’ll be there opening night. But more so… MATRIX: Reloaded MAY 15!!!

I’ll be here to chat about it, count on it.

JabirdV
Apr 22 2003
03:20 pm

Sorry, I don’t want spoil anything for you. Just know that you will not be disappointed. Keep your eye out for the LXG (League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen) trailer at the beginning.

On the Matrix front, sit through the 9 minutes of credits. Nice teaser is planned to sit at the end of the feature for Revolutions.

SamIam
May 03 2003
04:37 pm

So who here has seen X-Men 2? I just got back from it and I though it was excellent. I don’t want to talk about it too much to spoil it for anyone, but I thought I’d bring up a few points of interest.

I know Nightcrawler is the same way in the comics, but I found it really interesting on the importance that he puts in faith. There is this great conversation between Nightcrawler and Storm where he questions her “hate.” She responds by saying something along the lines of “sometimes it is good to hold on to your hate and use it for good to drive you” or something. But Nightcrawler then responds with a line that is very roughly “I have faith to hold on to and drive me.” I know I am butchering the conversation but it really struck me and I have so much more respect for his character now.

So… without saying anything… X-Men 3… I can’t wait. Anybody even mildly aquatinted with X-Men should have caught exactly what they are going to go into now. Can I talk about such things?

JabirdV
May 03 2003
07:12 pm

Yes, there is an element of faith spoken of in the film. I think the conclusion to that conversation was when Storm said she had faith in Nightcrawler…(doesn’t give anything away folks)…Obviously there was no idea of what Nightcrawler was wrestling with. After that comment, the issue is not brought up again, but the evolutionary pill is shoved down our throats an awful lot.

Yes the film IS great. I am looking forward to X3.

BBC
May 04 2003
04:08 am

Went all the way to the theater only to find that the 10:15, 10:45, 11:15, and 11:45 shows were sold out. Could have hung around for the 12:15 but though I am a dedicated fan, two hours of sleep was worth a lot to me at that point.

Re evolution (not to get us off track) but isn’t it possible to view evolution as a tool God used to form the world? I certainly wouldn’t claim to know how he did it (not when I am still trying to figure out far less-complicated problems, like how to properly serve him in this culture), but isn’t it a possibility? Kinda messes with the literal seven day creation stuff, but I have always been a fan of discovering the way God uses the world’s processes to accomplish his ends with far more beauty. complexity, and elegance that simply doing things one bit seperate from the others. Doesn’t matter much I suppose. The point is God made everything, made it well, and made it so that we are all interconnected in a myriad of ways, right?

SamIam
May 04 2003
11:35 am

I’m so impressed with the character development in the X-men movies, compared to all other superhero movies. The Batman movies were the best superhero movies before X-Men and X2. I guess you get that character development from having a group of superheroes that must interact and work together, especially superheroes with mysterious pasts. I think that was a big tool in making the character development work as well as it did was their search for a past.

On a mildly related note, at least to my last post, I also found it very interesting that though Nightcrawler is a character of faith he still struggles with it. I guess the “human” superhero is what X-Men is all about, but I found his struggle with faith very intriguing. Though he shows faith throughout the movie, his ability to “bamph” (teleport) is sort of symbolic of his faith. The thing that intrigued me the most is that even though he has faith and he “bamphs” proving his faith, he is very wary not to “bamph” where he cannot see. When he finally begins to do this he not only becomes a more whole person, he becomes a better superhero. Ah, Nightcrawler.

Xyrak
May 06 2003
12:11 pm

I saw it Friday and Saturday night (yes twice already). I admit I’m an X-Men cartoon fan (haven’t read the the comics). I love how they stick to the story and incorporate so many of the familiar X-Men/Brotherhood characters. The character building of Jean Gray, “John”, Nightcrawler stick out in my mind.

After X2 Nightcrawler has been promoted to my favorite X-Man. He teleports, he’s German, he’s got the faith, and he looks almost demonic at the same time. What a combo. I wonder why the creators made him look that way? Is it maybe that simple saying “Its whats inside that counts.” “Things aren’t always as they seem.” Hmmm… Anyways its just too cool.

And Jean’s “development.” That was done great as well. Although it wasn’t exactly how it happened in the toons. But the toons version was kind of lame anyway.

DewontheMountain
May 07 2003
11:12 am

X2 was a great flick!
I also loved Nightcrawlers character and wondered if there was significance to the fact that the one with the most faith was also the most timid/weak. Though not a strong leader he definitely has strength of character.

As for the evolution aspect I read something in Brian McLaren’s work recently where he said evolution (micro not macro) makes our Creator even more incredible that he created a world that can renew and recreate itself to some degree. I thought that was cool.